Tuesday, December 02, 2008

How Many Christmases?

I'm sure the title of this post is completely misspelled, but how would one go about spelling Christmas in the plural sense? That said, the time for levity comes briefly to an end. Yes, with the conclusion of Thanksgiving, the "holiday" season is now upon us. Here in the Greater New York Area this time of year is often met with a little bit of stress. I'm not talking about stress of the shopping and gift giving type, but the uneasiness of yet another holiday terror alert. The day before Thanksgiving, a day that more often than not finds most folks in a lighter mood as they look forward to the long weekend ahead was merely a few hours old when the powers that be went public, telling us once again not to panic, live our lives as normal, but be vigilant. Another credible threat, this time to our subways and commuter trains may be possible during this otherwise happy time of year. The sight of National Guard troops and an extra police presence has become a daily part of the fabric of our lives. Complacency is once again the creed by which we greet everyday here as we watch (I'm assuming) with some degree of horror the recent events taking place in Mumbai without seriously considering the fact that it could happen here. This is now the way we are forced to welcome in the holidays in a post 9/11 world, with unsettling thoughts, wondering whether or not today might be the day.
Will we make it home unscathed to enjoy another night with our loved ones?
I'm not a fatalist.
I'm a realist.
Last Wednesday, Thanksgiving Eve, I came across the blog site of someone I am honored to consider as an old friend. We had recently re-connected through the awesome power of the World Wide Web, something I pay deference to daily. Admittedly, my knee jerk/gut reaction to a posting titled Thankfulness Needs to Come from the Soul was, "Oh no, not another sappy holiday life changing confession, you could learn a lesson from this" type diatribe.
(Sorry, Tina).
I tend not to get caught up in the fervor of the holidays. Any warm fuzzies dissipated with the last tendrils of my youth, though having the opportunity to experience the magic and wonder of it all through the eyes of my five year-old son has alleviated that jaded feeling somewhat.
Out of respect, I did read Tina's posting from start to finish. It was compelling, well written and came from the heart. It didn't change my life however...at least not until I had reached home that evening to see the early news clips of all hell breaking loose on the other side of the world.
Timing is everything!
I don't often take the time to think about what I should be thankful for. Like most Americans I suppose, I take for granted the things I should be thankful about. I had a lot to sleep on come bedtime that evening.
Shortly following the conclusion of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade the next morning, where my son exhibited his first true hint of excitement at the upcoming Christmas holiday, having been convinced that Santa was waving at him through the television screen, I took a personal time-out to check e-mail and send one I had felt was now overdue.

Tina,
I read the recent posting on your blog site yesterday and was completely moved by your tale of what is now war torn India. Watching the Macy's parade with my son this morning was so normal, and gives me pause for thought. I'm thankful for "normal." I'm thankful to have re-connected with someone who briefly touched my life poolside at a Virgina Beach " Resort" some twenty years ago. I'm thankful that said "someone" is safe at home with family this year, celebrating the holiday far from where she spent it last year. My best to you and your family. Stay healthy, stay safe.
I often wonder how people in other parts of the country that are far removed from a major city react to increases in terror alerts, or if they are as senitively attuned to them as we are. If that weren't enough - more good news out of Washington.
WASHINGTON – A bipartisan commission is asserting the country should expect a terrorist attack using nuclear or biological weapons sometime in the next five years.
The report, which is scheduled to be publicly released on Wednesday, suggests that the incoming administration of President-elect Barack Obama should improve the capability of the United States to counter such an attack and to prepare if necessary for germ warfare.
From the very day I went public with this site, my goal was to keep this as a happy place, a sacred site to turn to just to get away from it all, have a laugh or two at my expense. I have often said both on this site and off, that I am not politically minded. Politics often brings out the worst in people. I don't take sides over which administration is to blame for the events of 9/11, and inwardly laugh at some of those who do. It really adds up to nothing more than finger pointing; he said, she said.
Now we hear that the incoming administration should essentially prepare for the worst. Shouldn't we have been doing that from sa-a-a-y-y 9/12?
Commuting in on the bus this morning, I briefly looked up from the book I was reading and was greeted with an early morning view of the New York City skyline in the distance, warmly welcoming the rising sun upon its face. Traffic was still light, the heartbeat that is New York had not yet reached its fevered pitch. Holiday lights and decorations were still glowing in that peaceful moment.
I got a chill, thinking back just a few minutes earlier to the news story I had caught the tail end of before heading out the door. Vice-President elect Joe Biden is due to make a presentation soon, discussing the probability of an imminent nuclear or biological attack.
I think of my family.
I wonder briefly, How Many Christmases?
How many more will we have the pleasure of spending together before the unimagineable happens?
I shook off the foreboding thought and went back to my book, a decent coutroom thriller that is reaching its end.
I am a New Yorker.
I return to living my life as I normally would.

1 comment:

Mike Greenly said...

Morty -

"Christmases" is correct -- you have no grammatical error for which to apologize!

A current movie, for example, is "Four Christmases."

More personal and relevant to ME is a song for which I wrote the lyrics. It's called "How Many Christmases" and it's just being released this season on a CD by the Young People's Chorus of New York, called "COOLSIDE OF YULETIDE."

Very exciting for me, personally, is the fact that my song -- using the wondrous powers of the Internet -- brought together several THOUSAND young choristers from four continents, all singing it ("virtually" together) with Rosanne Cash as the lead singer. You can see a low-res video about it via the YouTube url below.

warm wishes to you, Mike Greenly
YOUTUBE URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3Dmlu5CMk